With over 50 years’ experience in Legal Services, we can assist you as a business, an individual or a family, through all of your conveyancing needs. At Farnworth Shaw, we aim to keep the transaction plain and simple with personal attention to the whys and what ifs of all transactions.
- Transfers of Equity
How much does the service cost?
Prices start from just £200.00 plus VAT to £300.00 plus VAT for transfers of equity, re-mortgages and assents.
Where there is a referral fee payable, this will be clearly set out in our initial client care letter.
Conveyancing is undertaken at both our Colne and Nelson offices. Work undertaken in the immediate surrounding areas of Nelson or Colne is charged from £395.00 plus VAT up to £750.00 plus VAT. Our fees may exceed this range, depending upon the value of the property and complexity of the matter. Written details are available upon request.
Do I need to pay any upfront costs?
We only request payment of an upfront fee of £250.00 for searches on purchase transactions.
- Business Tenancies
How much does the service cost?
Prices start from £500.00 plus VAT for a very simple first time let of a unit with no business transfer involved.
For more complicated matters which may involve complex leases being drawn up or transferred and which may include taking over an existing business, either a partnership or company acquisition, these will be charged on a time basis at the appropriate rate mentioned in the service plan for the fee earner involved.
We can often give an early indication of overall fees in these complicated deals and give such information as soon as we can.
Other property matters
- Sales and purchases of land,
- Adverse possession
- Boundary disputes
- Agricultural conveyancing
Due to the complexity of these matters, prices for these services are available upon written request only.
Please fill in the attached form and we will be happy to give you a written quotation, which includes the cost of disbursements such as Land Registry fees, search fees and Stamp Duty. It is our aim to provide quality legal services at fees which are both fair and reasonable. For more details, please contact our Conveyancing Department either Louise Desoer at 3/5 Carr Road, Nelson (tel. 01282 699996), or Anham Din at 65 Albert Road, Colne (tel. 01282 865885). Alternatively, please Fill out our questionnaire for a free quote
How long does it all take?
This is the main question we are often asked by our residential conveyancing clients. We give an average of between 6-8 weeks. However, every case is different and there are often some issues that are out of our control, for example, the length of a chain, time taken to issue a mortgage offer. However, we do strive to keep you updated of all material developments.
For our residential conveyancing clients who are selling and buying, you may find the following process useful:
Selling your house
- Obtain the Deeds from your bank or building society (if you have one).
- Send a written contract to the buyer’s solicitor and answer any questions raised.
- Prepare an up-to-date redemption figure for your mortgage.
- Arrange for you to sign the legal paperwork.
- Exchange contracts which will set the moving date. At this point, the sale is legally binding.
- Deal with the legal completion of the sale including repayment of the mortgage and estate agent’s fee and send the net proceeds of the sale to you (or put them towards the purchase of your new house).
Buying a house
Buying a house could possibly be the biggest decision you make during your life. For this reason, we will be seeking to ensure that the house you buy does not involve you in unforeseen disputes over rights of way, boundaries, fences, restrictive covenants, road charges or other legal entanglements.
- Check through the legal documentation and raise any specific queries with the seller’s solicitor.
- Carry out the pre-contractual searches to include the local authority search, water and drainage search, environmental and mining searches and obtain chancel repair liability insurance.
- Receive and check your mortgage offer.
- Report to you on all our findings and arrange for you to sign the legal paperwork and pay your deposit.
- Exchange contracts. This will set the moving date. At this point, the purchase is legally binding.
Order your mortgage funds.
- Deal with the legal completion of the purchase including paying the purchase price to the seller’s solicitor.
- You can then collect your keys from the estate agent and move into your new home.
- We will attend to all of the post-completion matters including payment of any stamp duty and registering you as the new legal owner of the property. After this, the Deeds will be sent to your mortgage lender or, where there is no mortgage, stored by us on your behalf.
Are there any added extras?
You will be provided with a detailed comprehensive quotation at the outset which will be calculated on the basis of the information we have available at that time. However, if the matter is more complicated than we anticipated, such as unregistered land, leasehold land, dealing with a non-high street lender, or if unusual problems occur relating to an extensive chain or transfer then we do reserve the right to make additional charges. These additional charges are clearly shown and explained in the client care letter.
What happens if my matter does not proceed?
Depending on how much work has been carried out on your behalf, we do reserve the right to make a charge. This is detailed clearly in our client care letter.
Can you speak to someone on my behalf?
Yes, although due to data protection rules and regulations, we will require your written permission to speak to someone on your behalf. You will be sent a form to sign to permit this with the initial client care letter. You will be sent a form to sign to permit this with the initial client care letter
Do you provide home visits?
Yes, upon request. However, this will incur additional costs and is calculated according to mileage. If a home visit is required, then please inform us of this at the outset. Please note that we only cover a limited mileage radius.
Can I do everything by post and e-mail?
Yes. We recognise that most of our clients are in full-time employment and have other commitments. In line with our anti-money laundering regulations, you will be required to provide us with certain documentation. A fully comprehensive list is provided within the client care letter.